Tuesday 4 January 2022

31 days of chargen: day 4, solar investigator (Modern Age)

Today's themes: Modern AGE and "A brave sun-themed investigator who brings light into dark places."

First, stats! I roll 3d6 for each of the nine stats, getting 12, 10, 11, 6, 15, 10, 15, 9, 14. Not bad! Nothing spectacularly good, but equally there are three solid stats and only one weakness. A 6 isn't even low enough to impose a penalty!

As it's a modern game, I think a crusading journalist would be a good fit for the theme. Ardent Sunning sheds light on current events, reveals dark secrets, and brings neglected issues to the attention of the public. This regularly gets him in trouble...

I'm going to use the option to swap numbers round, letting me shift good numbers into my Communications and Intelligence stats rather than fighting skills.

Next, background! Modern Age has you roll for social class (Middle Class) and lifestyle (Suburban). This gives me a roll on a table, plus the following:
Ability: +1 Communication
Focus: Communication (Etiquette) or Intelligence (Current Affairs)
Talent: Affluent or Contacts

I roll an Intelligence focus. Altogether, I end up with the Contacts talent (for knowing people who can do favours), Intelligence (Current Affairs), and Intelligence (Research). A focus gives +2 when rolling to do that subset of tasks, so I'll have a mighty +5 on a lot of journalistic work!

Next, Profession. The Middle-Class ones don't seem appropriate - but I can also pick from a lower social class, which contains Investigator, the one for journalists. Perfect. This gets me:
Focus: Communication (Investigation) or Perception (choose one)
Talent: Intrigue or Observation
Health: 15 + Con (26)
Resources: 4 (boosted to 5 because I'm picking from a lower social class list)

Well, definitely Communication (Investigation) for me, though Perception (Search) would be handy too. I'll take Observation to be better at ferreting out secrets, gaining the Perception (Empathy) focus.

Now a Drive to establish what motivates me. After much havering I pick Judge, playing off the 'objective observation and learning stuff' angle. This nets me Knowledge, so I'm better at recalling information. It also gives me one of various rewards that depend on the setting - reputations, connections and so on - which I'll skip over.

To round things out, let's set up some background. Ardent has a degree in Environmental Science, and came into journalism gradually during 10 years working for sustainable energy firms. He retains a very strong interest in renewables, and tends to carry around solar chargers for his various devices. His work evolved into a broader interest in sustainability, communities, and inequality - as well as the corruption and entrenched interests that hinder progress, and public outreach. Occasional popular science columns and a couple of books grew into a career change.

No comments:

Post a Comment