Friday 7 January 2022

31 days of chargen: day 5, solar investigator (Pathfinder)

Late? I'm not, uh, late. But I'm going into Pathfinder for reasons that have nothing to do with it being 5 to 11 on day seven of this thing, honest. And so it's time for Arden Suncrowned to take the field.

Okay, for a solar-themed character, I'm going right for an Aasimar (human with vaguely celestial ancestry), which makes me Wise and Charismatic. I'll take the alternate racial trait that grants me a halo, because, you know, light. Once per day I can also use daylight as a spell-like ability.

After a ridiculous amount of faffing and changing my mind about fifteen times, I decide to make him an oracle (a kind of divine spellcaster, similar to a cleric, defined by a powerful curse and insight into a particular 'mystery'). He takes the Tongues curse, restricting him to babbling in Celestial at times of stress, and the Solar mystery (of course).

I go for a fairly boring set of stats, with a little Strength to fight with, enough Constitution to survive OK, and lots of Charisma.

Spells are next, so he takes a mixture of light-themed spells, plus some to encourage and protect his allies. Healing spells come automatically, thank goodness.

To round him out, it's feat time. I pick Solar Spell; this lets me spend a higher-level spell slot to bolster a light-themed spell (see?), making it dazzle enemies and significantly hamper creatures of darkness. I can slap this on a 0th-level light spell, letting me cause significant problems with a mere 1st-level spell slot.

At 3rd level I take Amplified Radiance, so if I stand near another aasimar our auras produce an emanation of daylight; creatures that take penalties in bright light take double those penalties instead. At 5th level, I grab Heavenly Radiance, giving me another daily use of my Daylight ability, and allowing me to expend either use to unleash a bolt of Searing Light instead.

Now let's pop back to that spell list and grab fear the sun, which lets me afflict enemies with light blindness, making them sensitive to bright light...

At this point I should be delving into weapons, armour, magic items and so on... but honestly, I can't be bothered. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment