Sunday 8 September 2024

General update on posting

This one's basically for Alan. Hi Alan!

I do have several proper blog posts in progress, not just podcast episodes. I'm just snowed under and haven't had time to get them into shape!

When I started this blog, I had a job with a lot of dead time where I could usefully composed blog thoughts in email to myself and just tidy them up later. I then moved into admin, which involved writing an impossible number of emails while opening 4,000 spreadsheets simultaneously and trying not to simply perish. Now I'm a teacher. There's a lot of good things about teaching, but I can say:

  1. You cannot realistically write blogposts while teaching a class, unless you have some post-human capabilities that I sadly lack
  2. Writing syllabi and writing lessons competes heavily for time, mental energy, and eyestrain with gaming writing, and I prioritise prep for the campaigns I'm doing and writing things I might get paid for (curse you, capitalism)

Anyway, I do plan to get back to this; I have ideas, and I'm really hoping one of these days I'll be asked to teach a course that actually exists so I don't need to spend 10+ hours a week writing it as I go along.

Not sure if you already read it, but I highly recommend Arthur's blog Refereeing and Reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment