Friday 21 February 2014

Mouse Guard seems interesting

Sorry for lack of posts. There are a few in the pipeline but in no shape to publish. I've just got an awful lot of IRL stuff going on at the moment and not much energy for writing anything interesting. Definitely not for further Monitors development, which is frustrating because it's tantalisingly close to alpha-playtestable.

Recently I've listened to several Mouse Guard APs and despite finding it rather alien (I've never played Burning Wheel, and my only experience with storygames was not a great success, although I don't think it's a storygame per se but has a few influences that way maybe? I dunno. I'm not the RPG theory guy. It's a bit different from D&D or Call of Cthulhu is what I'm saying.

Anyway, these APs - specifically The Walking Eye and Roo Sack Gamers archives APs - have tickled my interest and stirred a quiet desire to give the game a try. But I've got a few games stacked up not yet played, so let's not get too carried away.

I kind of like some of the ideas in it, like mechanics for stuff you care about and possibly the way conflicts get handled, although without actually knowing the rules it's a bit hard to be sure. It also seems like a way to find out about Burning Wheel, which everything I've heard suggests is notoriously complicated and drawn-out to start playing, without actually playing Burning Wheel. Mostly, in all honesty, I like the idea of playing heroic mice. I'm currently hunting for more APs because it's grabbed my interest and APs are effectively my sports viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment